All texts and images by Gaelle Konak (unless stated)




Tuesday 15 February 2011

One step forward...

I'm still surprised to realize how scared I am to put my work out to be approved (or not) by the art world. The fear of criticism and rejection which had me paralized all these years is still very much there and clutching at my throat. It would be so easy to step back and close the door, locking my entrails away safely, only to expose them partly and briefly to an audience with no voice and no real interest.
How to accept not to be loved? Art is so inherent to the deepest and most intimate part of the one who creates it, it might as well be their own flesh and blood. Rejection then becomes similar to someone saying they dislike you as a human being and dismiss all that you may feel or think as an individual, that you are not worthy of their time and interest. Am I brave enough for it? Am I ready? Do I feel confident and secure enough with who I am and what I do to survive this ultimate test of love, stand out in a crowd of rivals more talented and charming than me, take my clothes off and face the cold detached stare of the all powerful judges of what is "good art"?...

No comments:

Post a Comment